Public is Confident in Dermatology Providers Abilities
In a recent study published in Dermatology Surgery, researchers assessed the general public’s opinion of health care providers. Participants expressed confidence in dermatology providers to evaluate lesions, perform cutaneous surgery, and administer cosmetic procedures.
Using an internet-based questionnaire, researchers surveyed 354 adults who selected a provider to perform several hypothetical surgical procedures, and the general public communicated positive expectations of dermatologists:
- 73.4% selected dermatologists to perform skin cancer surgery on a patient’s back
- 69.8% selected dermatologists to evaluate worrisome and biopsy lesions on the face
- 62.7% selected dermatologists to perform skin cancer surgery on a patient’s face
- 56.3% selected dermatologists to perform laser procedures
- 47.3% selected dermatologists to administer filler injections
Though the survey did not ask for reasons behind each participant’s preference, one of the study’s co-authors, Omar A. Ibrahimi, M.D., Ph.D, points out that the findings show the public’s understanding that dermatology providers are experts in skin, health, and beauty. He notes that further research assessing public opinion can help increase patient satisfaction.
Image: Mercy Health