LIVE BLOG: Product Theater – Treatment of Atopic Dermatitis and Seborrheic Dermatitis w/ Cloderm Cream and Promiseb Cream & Complete w/ Firas Hougeir, MD
In this Live Blog, we cover Dr. Firas Hougeir’s Product Theater as he discusses the Group C Steroid, Cloderm, and Promiseb Creme for seborrheic dermatitis treatment.
Cloderm is a steroid indicated for the relief of inflammatory and pruritic manifestations of corticosteroid-responsive dermatoses. What sets Cloderm above some other steroid cremes, is its group classification. As a Group C steroid, this means that it is hypo-allergenic so as a Class 4 Steroid, Cloderm proves to be high in strength and low in adverse side-effects. The product had no evidence of HPA- Axis and for long-term use, there were no systemic, cumulative or delayed adverse events even when used for 7 months.
While there is no age restriction on the product and it has been known to provide positive relief for a wide age span (toddlers through seniors), administering Cloderm in the pediatric setting must be done with caution.
Pediatric Study Quick Facts
- For treatment of Eczema
- 79% Cloderm Clearance vs 55% Placebo Clearance
- For treatment of Psoriasis
- 50% Cloderm Clearance vs 67% Placebo Clearance
- 33 female: Flared a-topic dermatitis very itchy
- twice daily for a week and the itch went from 10 out of 10 down to 2 out of 10
- Proved strength with safety (low side effects)
- Class 4 steroid
- no age restriction
- Allergy Group C
- No Generic Alternative
Promiseb and Promiseb Complete
Promiseb, an antifungal and anti-inflammatory creme, has shown itself comparable to the efficacy of a steroid creme with an impressive safety profile. Without the active ingredient in the product, it can be used in place of or as a maintenance after steroid treatment.
- STUDY 1
- 77 patients with mild to moderate seb. dermatitis
- 2x per day, 28 days
- If dermatitis was clear at 14 day check in, then treatment was stopped through to the 28 day check in.
- Desonide did very well at day 14, and it continued to day 28
- Promiseb did well at day 14 and continued at day 28
- Results showed that Promiseb does just as well as a steroid
- Continued Clearance
- Promiseb showed 71% continued clearance to day 28,
- Desonide had only 14% continued clearance at day 28
- Steroid use only lasted them a few months clearance
- STUDY 2: Anti-fungal
- 10 volunteers
- Each patient had a treated site and untreated site
- Promiseb was applied twice daily to the treated site
- Treated site had 94% reduction
- Untreated site had 49% reduction
- Statistically significant difference in reduction between the two sites
Promiseb Complete is a kit that includes the crem and is accompanied by a scalp wash. Use 3 times week then as needed. The product will not discolor dyed or white hair.
[Image by Kevin Dooley]